Albert Street Honour Roll

Albert Street Uniting Honour Roll

The 24th of April 2021 is the centenary of the unveiling of this Honour Roll in the Albert Street Uniting Church in Brisbane.  The background to this memorial is related below and a brief biography is presented of some of the people whose names are listed.

We are posting this material to memorialise the people listed on the Roll, not to glorify war. A quote from Sir Alexander Hore-Ruthven, then Governor of South Australia made at the unveiling of the South Australian National War Memorial, 25 April 1931, is apposite.   Sir Alexander was later Governor-General of Australia 1936-1944.

‘It is not for ourselves that we have erected this visible remembrance of great deeds, but rather that those who come after us and have not experienced the horrors of war, or realised the wanton destruction or utter futility of it all, may be inspired to devise some better means to settle international disputes other than by international slaughter.’


Emotions running among the Australian population by the end of World War I included grief and a deep sense of loss about the dead and maimed both physically and mentally.  There was also relief that such a long, grinding war was over and there would be the return of dearly loved ones.

There remained horror about what modern warfare meant – in France and Belgium the combination of massed artillery and machine guns, poison gas, barbed wire, tanks and planes; and in the Sinai Desert and Palestine harsh climate, dehydration, isolation and  great distances.  There was much  pride in the resilience, bravery and character of the Australian troops and the nurses.

The Superintendent Minister at Albert Street, the Rev Dr G.E. Rowe, had served as Queensland’s Senior Methodist Chaplain and spent a period in the Middle East in 1915. He had personally delivered much tragic news and consolation to families, and had heard many gruelling accounts from servicemen and women.

As well as the community at large, he well understood the need to honour and remember after the war, those who had served.

Special services were held in all of the Churches soon after the Armistice on 11 November 1918. The Albert Street (then Methodist) Church held such a service on 16 November 1918, followed on 2 March 1919 by a memorial service for all Queensland Methodist service members who had made the ultimate sacrifice in the War. The printed order of service included nearly 700 names and a copy was sent to all of the families of those named.

Two years later, on Sunday 24 April 1921, a marble Honour Roll was unveiled at the entrance of the Albert Street Church. On that day it listed 224 names, with four others subsequently added.

Sixty-five in total had died during the war. This is a relatively high proportion; perhaps explained by the substantial percentage who had served in the infantry. Another notable feature is the number who served in medical roles – in field ambulance units, in hospitals, and on hospital ships.

Many of the 229 were Australian born, single and aged 18-30 – as was the case with enlistments throughout Australia. With many coming from Brisbane, they were primarily tradesmen, clerks, salesmen, labourers and professionals (including four nurses). However, their individual stories are very varied as demonstrated in the following brief accounts.

Ida Axelsen, (SLQ Print negative no. 168822)

AXELSEN, Ida Marie (1878-1967)

Ida’s vocation was helping others through nursing care. She was born in Tiaro, Queensland, and trained at the Maryborough Hospital and the Melbourne Women’s Hospital. She then worked in Child Health in Brisbane, followed by St Mary’s Private Hospital, Wynnum. For eight years she was one of the Sisters of the People at the Central Methodist Mission in Brisbane. The Sisters made many thousands of home visits each year, providing nursing and welfare assistance to anyone who was in distress.

As a member of the Australian Army Nursing Service 1915-1918, she served on No.2 Hospital ship ‘Kanowna’, tending to the wounded and sick onboard for nine voyages. Conditions were challenging, with a high workload for the nurses and in places like the Red Sea, heat and lack of fresh air in the wards below deck. The nurses were very dedicated – one wrote that “Not all the patients made it. Some died at sea, some within a day’s sailing of Fremantle. Burial at sea was always an impressive service, but it saddened the hearts of the Sisters who felt some degree of responsibility whenever they ‘lost’ a patient.”

Post-war, Ida was Matron at St Helen’s Private Hospital in Brisbane, then at the Westwood Sanatorium in Central Queensland, followed by the Maternal and Child Welfare Centre, Brisbane. Her wider professional contributions included membership of the Australasian Trained Nurses Association Council and of the National Council of Women, as well as a keen interest in the Mothercraft Association.

Tom Beech (SLQ image no.702692-19151106-s0026-054)

BEECH, Thomas ‘Tom’ (1894-1984)

Tom is one of five brothers on the Honour Roll. He was working as an ambulance bearer in Brisbane and so a natural choice for Field Ambulance when he enlisted, aged 21.

He served in the 3rd Field Ambulance from July 1915 for four years in France and Flanders, reaching the rank of Sergeant.

On discharge in 1919 he returned to what was to be a notable career with the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade (QATB), and also married his waiting sweetheart, Letitia Emma Pritchard.

After opening a new QATB centre in Nambour in 1922, he was the superintendent there for 23 years, before moving to the Mackay centre in 1946 and then the Brisbane centre in 1953.

Tom retired in 1965 and died at the age of 89 in 1984, survived by Letitia and one of their three children.

BRUMWELL, DS (Uniting Church Archives-Synod of Victoria 599a297221ea691414ca64ab )

BRUMWELL, Donald Stanley (1887-1966)

Donald was a front-line Chaplain with Infantry Battalions during World War 1. English-born, he was ordained as a Methodist Minister in Brisbane in 1914 and enlisted in 1915, aged 28. He suffered shell shock and gassing, including in April 1918 when ‘he acted in a conspicuously courageous manner in attending to casualties. The Field Ambulance was in the gassed area, and the staff were fully engaged. Chaplain Brumwell, realising that additional aid was necessary, established an aid post on the south side of AUBIGNY, and though under severe bombardment of gas and H.E.(high explosive) shells, continued to work until compelled to leave by sheer exhaustion’. He was made an Officer of the British Empire (OBE) in 1919 in recognition of his service as a Chaplain.

During World War 2 he was the Senior Methodist Chaplain for Queensland, and also served as President of the Queensland Methodist Conference.

He died in 1966, survived by his wife Ida (one of the daughters of the Rev GE Rowe) and their two children.

COLLIN, LN (BGS from School 1922 Annals)

COLLIN, Leslie Norman (1894-1915)

After completing his first year at the University of Queensland (aimed at a career in the law), Leslie promptly enlisted in the 1st AIF in September 1914. He came from a notable family – his grandfather Captain William Collin, a master mariner who anchored buoys through the Torres Strait passage; his father the head of W Collin and Sons Ltd., Shipowners and Agents. The family were members of the Albert Street Church congregation.

As a Lieutenant in the 15th Infantry Battalion Leslie showed ‘great gallantry, cool and careful leadership’ and was ‘a tower of strength to his tired and sleepy men’. He was killed in action at Quinn’s Post on the Gallipoli Peninsula on 9 May 1915, going on a dangerous mission and refusing to take more than one of his men with him because of the risk. He has no known grave but is listed on the Lone Pine Memorial on the Peninsula.

DENNY, RJ (SLQ Image no.702692-19160205-s0022-011)

DENNY, Roland James (1888-1973)

Born in NSW, a younger brother of a notable Queensland Methodist Minister Herbert Arthur Denny, Roland completed an apprenticeship with a train and tram builder in Sydney, before moving with the family to Brisbane and working as a fitter.

He enlisted in 1916 at the age of 27, and was placed with the 25th Infantry Battalion. For his actions in early October 1917 he was awarded the Military Medal courageously rallying his men for a successful attack on 4 October and, a few days later, confronted by heavy shell and machine gun fire and needing to cross open ground, ‘he showed great courage, and by personal example and exertion, rallied his men and brought the ammunition safely to the front line’. Later in the month he was gassed and hospitalised.

He added a Bar to his Military Medal in July 1918, forestalling two enemy attempts on a critical point in the line with ‘great initiative’ and ‘conspicuous gallantry and masterly leadership’. Later in the same month, wounds to his head and scalp and a fractured jaw meant he was invalided to England. He finished with the rank of Sergeant.

In early 1918 Roland married Louisa Campion in England and they came to Brisbane in 1919. In later years they moved to Sydney, where Roland worked as an engineer, a furnace man, an ironworker, and a storeman. He died in 1973, survived by Louisa and their three children.

FISHER, JW (SLQ Image no.702692-19150710-s0027-0032)

FISHER, Joseph William ‘Joe’ (1891-1915)

Joe was in the first wave ashore on 25 April 1915 at the landing on Gallipoli Peninsula. Even though the Anzacs pushed hard inland, the terrain was much more difficult than they were told to expect, formations couldn’t keep together, and casualties were high. After the first three days a little over half of the 9th Infantry Battalion were dead, wounded or missing.

Despite the family’s best inquiries, nothing is recorded about the specific circumstances and timing of Joe’s death, and his service record shows only that he was killed in action on 2 May 1915. His name is listed on the Lone Pine Memorial at Gallipoli.

Joe’s father Roger had been a successful miner in Charters Towers, and the family moved to Raceview near Ipswich where Roger had acquired an interest in a colliery there. Later when it was sold the family moved to Sherwood, attending the Albert Street Church. When Joe enlisted in August 1914 aged 22 his occupation was recorded as engine driver (stationary). Reports of his death noted that in North Queensland he had been a keen participant in cadets and with the Citizen Forces (the Kennedy Regiment), reaching the rank of Colour-Sergeant.

HOSKIN, FW (SLQ Image no.702692-19141219-s00226-0054

HOSKIN, Frederick William (1890-1915)

Frederick died in the 17th General Hospital in Alexandria, Egypt on 21 May 1915 as a result of a severe shoulder wound received on Gallipoli. He had enlisted in September 1915 and was a Private in the 15th Infantry Battalion.

His grandparents and parents were all active Methodists in Brisbane, and Frederick attended the Leichhardt State School, after which he trained as a carpenter. When he married Deborah Beatrice Schofield on 14 April 1910 he was working as a drayman, but on enlistment his occupation was recorded as stockman.

He was buried in the Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery.

KING, FL (AWM Image PO2449.006)

KING, Frederick Lucas (1892-1961)

Fred was working in the family firm of King and King Ltd when he was an early enlistment in August 1914. King and King was founded in Brisbane in 1886, and operated a music store in Queen Street from 1911 for many decades. Fred’s uncle James Jordan King was very involved with the Methodist Church throughout his life, including as a foundation member of the council of King’s College at the University of Queensland, and a lay representative on the Overseas Mission Board.

While serving on Gallipoli with the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade (FAB), Fred suffered a rifle shot wound, but after treatment returned to the Peninsula. He remained until the general evacuation late in 1915, despite suffering dysentery during the last month.

Next was service in France and Belgium with the 11th FAB and promotion to Lieutenant in August 1916. In fierce fighting at Passchendaele in October 1917 he suffered shell wounds to his shoulders and a compound fracture of the skull, which needed nine operations to repair.

There was modest recovery, and he married Sylvia Richmond in England in 1921 and had a family, but much of the rest of his life in England is a sombre account of Fred’s determined struggles with frequent headaches, fatigue and recurrences of dysentery. Several attempts to earn a living were thwarted by his health, although eventually he had a small wireless shop that he could manage.

KNOWLES, HN (SLQ image no.684723-v013n003-s0068-0001)

KNOWLES, Herbert Norman (1892-1971)

Herbert’s family had long and deep involvements with Methodism in Brisbane including the Albert Street Church – there are memorials in the Church to his parents Samuel and Emily Knowles, and to his uncle and aunt Walter and Katherine Barnes.

Herbert was engaged in the family gem and jewellery business when, aged 23, he enlisted in January 1916 in the infantry. Quickly rising through the ranks, he served on the Western Front as a Lieutenant with the 9th Infantry Battalion.

He was wounded twice, gassed twice, and decorated for bravery twice. In May 1918 he went forward alone to attack an enemy machine gun post and despite having a head wound, returned with the gun, thus saving casualties while his platoon consolidated new positions. In August 1918 he lead an attack on three machine gun posts, capturing prisoners and guns, and remained on duty despite wounds.

Discharged in 1919, he returned to England in 1921 and married Marie Gwendolen Hurst Hodgson that year. He established a business connected to the family business back in Brisbane, and died in the UK aged 78.


MACKAY, Edith Jane (1872-1959)

Edith was born in Ulladulla, completed her nursing training in New Zealand, and, like Ida Axelsen, was a Nursing Sister with the Central Methodist Mission in Brisbane when World War 1 broke out. Australian nurses served in a number of ways during the War, and Edith first chose a path of travelling to the UK and being engaged by the British Red Cross to work in a hospital in the French town of Lourdes, which treated patients of many different nationalities.

After two years in Lourdes she worked in Salonika, Serbia, and Corsica, and was in Salonika when the Armistice was declared in November 1918. Conditions were dire during and after the war for many, and Edith and other nurses willingly put up with limited food, the risk of disease, and lack of comforts to aid the people. Post-war, Edith undertook relief work for five years in Serbia, and then famine-stricken areas of Russia. By the end of all this, Edith could speak nine languages, and was awarded the Red Cross Medal and the Serbian White Eagle.

Back in Australia, Edith was Assistant Matron at Thornborough College, Charters Towers, and later had her own private hospital at Goombi (between Miles and Chinchilla). She retired when aged 72, and died in Byron Bay in 1959.

PARKER, Audley image AWM

PARKER, Audley (1880-1917)

Audley’s war had two parts – at Gallipoli he was orderly to the Regimental Medical Officer for the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade (FAB), Alexander Hammett Marks; then on the Western Front he was promoted to Lieutenant in the Artillery, before dying of wounds in July 1917.

Audley was a clerk with the Commercial Bank of Australia when he enlisted in August 1914 at the age of 34. He had been a contemporary of Dr Marks at Brisbane Grammar School during his three years there, and perhaps it was Dr Marks’ knowledge of his qualities that contributed to his being placed as Marks’ orderly.

After Gallipoli Audley returned to duties as a Gunner, but was fairly quickly promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and later Lieutenant. He was in action in France and Belgium with the 21st FAB until February 1917, when he was transferred to the 1st FAB, and was with that unit when he was fatally wounded on 21 July 1917 at Zillebeke near Ypres. He died of his wounds the same day in a casualty clearing station, and was buried in the Reninghelst New Military Cemetery.

Before the war Audley had been living with his parents and contributing substantially to the household finances. His mother Kathleen was granted an allowance from the Repatriation Commission to partially compensate for the loss of that support. On her death in 1921 – the funeral service conducted by the Rev Rowe – his 72 year old father William was granted an allowance.

POWELL, HW (SLQ image no.702692-19150102-s0024-0003)

POWELL, Herman Watkins (1889-1964)

Herman’s father William was a Methodist Minister for nearly 60 years, 48 of them in Queensland. Herman attended the Brisbane Grammar School for three years, and became a chemist after undertaking a four year apprenticeship.

He enlisted in 1914, aged nearly 25, and was placed with the staff of the newly formed 1st Australian General Hospital (AGH) unit before they departed for Egypt in November 1914. He served with the 1st AGH in Egypt, was promoted to Warrant Officer, and after the Hospital shifted to Rouen in France in 1916, was promoted to the very demanding role of Quartermaster with the rank of Honorary Lieutenant.

In July 1917 Herman transferred to the 14th Field Ambulance, and served with that unit until transfer back to the 1st AGH in September 1918. Following the Armistice, the Hospital moved to England, and in 1919 Herman was promoted to Honorary Captain, before returning to Australia with his English wife, Mary Eaton.

Herman then worked as a chemist in Brisbane. During World War 2, he served in the Army within Australia as a Major. He died in 1964, survived by Mary and their three children.

ROWE, George Edwards (Ministerial portrait ASUC)

ROWE, George Edwards (1858-1926)

George was a dynamic and prominent figure in Australian Methodism. In South Australia he made a strong impression during his 12 years there; in Western Australia 1893-1905 he was gratefully remembered for the Methodist Mission’s strong response to the challenges of the goldfield rushes in remote areas and during a typhoid epidemic; while in Brisbane as Superintendent Minister of the Albert Street Church his achievements included establishment of the successful Central Methodist Mission. He was awarded a Doctor of Divinity from the Syracuse (New York) University in 1916.

A Chaplain in the Citizen Forces from 1895, he received the Volunteer Decoration for 20 years service, and during World War 1 was the Senior Methodist Chaplain for Queensland. Despite many demanding duties associated with that role, to be better informed he went on one voyage in 1915 to the Middle East with reinforcements, spoke to many soldiers in Egypt, and returned with the ship load of wounded. He was a fit and active man but died unexpectedly in 1926 on the platform at the Toombul train station.

His funeral was one of the largest seen in Brisbane, with the Church seats and aisles overcrowded, and several thousand outside who joined in the singing of the hymns. A lengthy funeral procession followed the casket on a gun carriage to Toowong Cemetery, and reports said that what was particularly striking was the representative nature of the throng – ‘all shades and sections of public opinion and all sections of political thought, and all sections of religious and social thought.’

A memorial stone to the Rev Rowe and his wife Marian (designed by his architect son-in-law Clifford Ernest Plant, who had served in World War 1 and was awarded the Military Medal) was placed in the Church in 1927.

SMITH, WH (SLQ Image no.702692-19160325-s0026-046)

SMITH, William Henry (1890-1916)

William was born in Wolumla in NSW, but was living in Brisbane and working as a stationer when he enlisted in 1915. He also had skills as a carpenter.

Placed with the 7th Field Ambulance as a Private, he was killed in action in August 1916. His courage and willingness to sacrifice himself for others was manifest, as shown in this official description of his actions: “After being on duty at POZIERES for the whole of the night of August 4th 1916 during an attack, and although ordered to rest on the morning of the 5/8/16 hearing that a number of wounded men were lying unattended in ‘No man’s land’ asked for and obtained permission to go out and dress them. He proceeded there passing through a heavy barrage of fire and continued to dress cases until his supply of Dressings was exhausted. He returned to the Dressing Station about 2pm and obtained further supplies of Dressings and again went out to ‘No man’s land’ and continued attending to the wounded until he himself was fatally wounded”.

His body was not recovered and he is listed on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial in France.

SUTTON, CA (SLQ Image no.702692-19150717-s0027-0047)

SUTTON, Charles Arthur (1890-1918)

Charles was farming near Gayndah at the time he enlisted in 1915, but had also served nearly three years in the Queensland police. He married Julia nee Clancy in the Albert Street Church one week before he enlisted. Serving with the 9th Infantry Battalion, he was wounded twice (July and December 1916) and by June 1918 had the rank of Temporary Sergeant.

After Charles was killed leading an attacking party in June 1918, a comrade who had known him since enlistment wrote to the family “I can firmly state I always found him manly, straightforward, and sober; and furthermore, not only a soldier, but a man. I cannot say too much for him.’

He is listed on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial in France. Julia was left to grieve: ‘Far from the land that gave him birth my hero now does sleep and many’s the silent tear I shed while others are asleep…Sweet Jesus have mercy on him.’

TAYLOR, HB (SLQ image no.702692-19141107-s0026-0003)

TAYLOR, Harold Bourne (1892-1972)

Harold, an artillery officer at Gallipoli and on the Western Front, was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his great courage in very exposed forward positions, his leadership and initiative, and never sparing himself in his devotion to duty. He reached the rank of Major but a severe wound during operations east of Ypres in late September 1917 meant his return to Australia, and then discharge on medical grounds in March 1918.

He was a 22 year old railway clerk when he enlisted in 1914, and after the war rose to managerial positions in the private sector. During World War 2 he served in Army training roles within Australia, and then from 1947 to 1963 was a member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly – having the role of Chairman of Committees 1957-63. Married twice, he passed away in 1972 and was cremated at Mt Thompson, with the funeral conducted by the Rev George Nash from Albert Street.

WALTERS, HV (AWM Image H06324)

WALTERS, Harold Victor (1892-1918)

Harold was a 24 year old accountant when he enlisted in 1916. He was the youngest son of Thomas and Harriet Walters, who were very active members of the Albert Street Church. Harold attended the Brisbane Normal School and then the Technical College for his professional studies.

Placed in the 25th Battery of the 7th Field Artillery Brigade, Harold was killed in action on 31 August 1918 near Suzanne in France. An enemy shell exploded when the crew were standing with their gun, and Harold fell backwards, asked ‘Am I alright?’, and died.

He was buried in the Suzanne Military Cemetery No.3, with the headstone bearing an inscription written by his parents: ‘No morning dawns No evening returns But what we think of thee’.

WEST, GJ (SLQ Image no.702692-19160122-s0022-046)

WEST, George John (1894-1916)

George’s father James was the caretaker of the Albert Street Church for 32 years, having taken over the role in 1898 when George’s maternal grandfather Thomas Hinks died.

George had served part-time in the voluntary Citizen Forces and was a 20 year old shop assistant when he enlisted in the 1st AIF in 1915. Placed with the 49th Infantry Battalion, he was a Corporal for the purposes of the voyage to Europe but, as was the usual practice, reverted to Private when the reinforcements were absorbed into the Battalion.

The 49th moved into the trenches in France in June 1916, and in September suffered heavily in the Battle of Mouquet Farm. George was one of the casualties during a costly assault on 3 September. His name is one of the many on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial.

WHITE, Ralph (ASUC publication)

WHITE, Ralph Moreton (1892-1966)

Ralph was a certificated accountant at the Brisbane Milling Company when he enlisted in 1915, aged 23, and leadership qualities saw him promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in December 1915.

For his actions in July 1916 at Pozieres he was awarded the Military Cross: ‘He led his men to the most advanced position gained, and, although his party lost heavily, reorganised men of other battalions who had lost their officers, successfully consolidated the position, and beat off a counter-attack. After 36 hours of heavy fighting he was finally rendered unconscious by a shell explosion’. During two months recuperation he was promoted to Lieutenant, and was again recommended for a bravery decoration in February 1917, but this was not granted.

Ralph was wounded for a second time in April 1917, and promoted to Captain, but he was then ruled unfit for active service. On return to Australia he resumed his employment with the Brisbane Milling Company, and on 8 April 1920 married Elsie Dath.

Throughout the 1930s Ralph was joint treasurer of the Central Methodist Mission. Later in his career he was a company manager.

WILKINS, EB (BGS from School 1922 Annals)

WILKINS, Edward Bennison (1879-1918)

Warwick-born Edward was a clerk in Melbourne when he enlisted at age 36 in February 1916. He did so under the name of Edward Brady – for reasons unknown to his family with his mother Matilda and sister Charlotte in Fairfield, Brisbane continuing to address letters to Edward B. Wilkins.

Placed with the 39th Infantry Battalion, Edward served in France and Belgium, was promoted to Corporal then Sergeant, and wounded in June 1917 during the battle of Messines. He was recommended for the Military Medal for his actions during the battle of Broodseinde on 4 October 1917: ‘…he displayed conspicuous gallantry in action. He several times reorganised Sections which had lost their leaders and became scattered. He was mainly responsible for the capture of an enemy machine gun and many prisoners.’

However, Edward was killed eight days later during the disastrous battle of Passchendaele, and the Medal was approved posthumously.

His name is listed on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

WIILIAMSON, DJ (SLQ Image no.702692-19160226-s0023-048)

WILLIAMSON, David John (1898-1916)

David was born in 1898 in Mackay to Harry Williamson, a farmer and baker from Denmark, and his London-born wife Annie Florence nee Smout.

He attended the Laidley State School and trained as a baker, also doing four years in the senior cadets under the then compulsory military training scheme. He joined the voluntary Citizen Forces in June 1915.

When he enlisted three months later the family was living in the Brisbane suburb of Cannon Hill, with David working as a carter. He was taken on strength with the 25th Australian Infantry Battalion in France in May 1916, but was severely wounded in the shoulder on 9 June, dying of his wounds early the next morning in the casualty clearing station.

David was buried in the Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension with the headstone inscription: ‘Mourned by his loving parents of Brisbane He died for us’.

Most of the sources listed below were used for all the stories, except where specifically indicated.

  • WW1 and WW2 service and repatriation files, National Archives of Australia
  • Australian War Memorial records, particularly those relating to awards and recommendations, Red Cross files, the proforma filled out by family on those who died, and Edith Mackay’s personal papers PR89/027
  • State Library of Queensland, particularly early Albert Street Church marriage and baptism records, as well as blogs on Ida Axelsen by Ashley Reid, and on Joe Fisher by Ian Lang
  • Digitised newspapers on Trove (National Library of Australia)
  • State Birth, Death and Marriage records
  • Brisbane Grammar School Golden Book; Stephenson, Stuart The Annals of BGS 1869-1922 (Government Printer, Bris.,1923); and Grammar at Gallipoli (BGS, Bris., 2015) in relation to Collin, Parker, Powell and Wilkins
  • Alexander, Joseph A Who’s Who in Australia (Herald and Weekly Times, Melb., 1941-1959) in relation to Brumwell and Taylor
  • A Biographical Record of Queensland Women (Webb, Elliot and Co., Brisbane, 1939) in relation to Ida Axelsen
  • Chataway, TP History of the 15th Battalion Australian Imperial Forces: war 1914-1918 (W Brooks, Bris., 1948) in relation to Collin
  • Albert Street Church archives
  • After one hundred years: a brief story of the Albert Street Methodist Church and Central Mission (Albert Street Methodist Church, Bris., 1947)
  • Smith, FR The Church on the Square: A history of the Albert Street Church (Uniting Church, Bris., 1990)